You rely on your PAP machine to keep your airways open throughout the night, so cleaning it regularly and replacing its components as needed to maintain proper hygiene is crucial. It may not always be clear when to replace PAP supplies if the parts do not appear to be worn out. Let's look at what you need to know to keep your PAP device functioning at its peak performance.
How often should I replace my CPAP supplies?
How often should I clean my CPAP supplies?
It is important to clean the various components of your machine regularly. Follow these recommendations to ensure your CPAP device is operating at its most efficient:
- Tubing, Filters, and Humidifier Chambers: CPAP tubing requires regular replacement because small holes can develop, which affects the pressure setting. If you have a humidifier chamber or a reusable filter, they should be cleaned alongside your tubing with warm mild soapy water. Tubing and reusable filters should be cleaned weekly and humidifier chambers should be cleaned daily. Rinse well, and air dry completely before next use.
- Mask and Headgear: Due to repeated use, these items receive the most wear and tear. It is essential to wash your face before putting on your mask to remove makeup, oils, or moisturizers that can rub off and soil the equipment. We recommend gently hand washing your mask and headgear with warm water and mild soap each day to keep it in excellent shape.
Always reference the user manual for the manufacturer's recommended cleaning tips before washing. Keep in mind that no matter how thoroughly you clean your machine and its parts, you cannot completely eliminate all bacteria and dirt within the grooves or cracks in your CPAP equipment.
Breath and sleep better with SleepEaze™
Lincare's SleepEaze™ program provides education about your sleep disorder. These services include:
- Home or virtual visits by our licensed clinicians
- Education regarding sleep apnea
- Prescribed therapies and equipment management
- Overnight oximetry testing
- Follow-up reporting based on the results
SleepEaze™ offers in-home or virtual visits from our sleep experts who incorporate educational materials to teach you about sleep apnea so you can take control of your sleep therapy and learn to manage your condition better. Our clinicians and technicians will also discuss any treatment your practitioner has prescribed and demonstrate how to use and maintain your CPAP equipment.