According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), one in every four Americans aged 65 and older will fall each year, making falls a public health concern among seniors. Additionally, many seniors have chronic medical conditions like heart disease, diabetes, and hypertension that can result in medical emergencies requiring immediate attention and medical intervention.
What is a PERS?
Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS) have emerged as an essential tool for seniors living alone to reduce the risk associated with these medical emergencies and falls. PERS is a set of devices and services that seniors can use to alert family members and emergency responders.
Who benefits from a PERS?
These Personal Emergency Response Systems are not only for seniors, but they can also be used by anyone at risk for an emergency situation and may not be able to independently call for help. These systems are lightweight and easily concealable. The most common individuals who will benefit from a PERS are:
- Individuals who have a history of falling
- Individuals who’s ordering practitioner has identified them as a high fall risk
- Seniors who live alone
- Individuals with mobility issues who live alone
- Individuals with diabetes
PERS provides immediate contact with a live operator
The Personal Emergency Response System is highly sought-after for the live operator feature. After pressing your medical alert button, a trained operator will speak with you over a two-way voice box to see if you need help. The operators can also access your customer profile, which contains information for your local emergency services, family, and friends. This crucial feature can save lives in situations when a senior falls or loses the ability to communicate. Emergency medical responders can act with the information our operators provide. With time being critical in medical emergencies, this system expedites the response time for better health outcomes.
How We Can Help
Caring Responders®, a Lincare company, offers a reliable and trustworthy partnership with responsive operators and state of the art medical alert equipment. The different systems available are:
- Personal Home Medical Alert System: An in-home system that is hooked up through a home phone line. This system offers two options: a waterproof button worn as a necklace or a wristband. The button has a detection range of 1000 feet.
- Mobile Medical Alert System: A mobile system that can be used wherever you are within cellular range. This system features built-in GPS capability.
- Fall detection: All systems offered by Caring Responders® can add automatic fall detection through a pendant that is worn on a lanyard around the patient’s neck. This pendant will detect a fall without having to press a button by using multiple motion sensors and algorithms to determine a fall and minimize false alarms accurately.
While these systems can provide a sense of security and peace of mind for seniors and their families, it is important to note that no PERS can replace the need for regular check-ins and communication with family members or caregivers. For more information about all our Personal Emergency Response System devices and their features, contact us now at 866-993-0661 to speak to a member of our talented Customer Service Team.